Updated on the 22nd of July
The information we collect from users include the following:
- Age group
- Photos or images published by users
- Education status
- Topics users vote on
- Tags used by voters
- Topic categories
- Phone number when user wishes to be contacted
- Multimedia content posted by users
- Social media links
- Comments on topics and any other information you publish on the platform
Why do we collect your information?
- We collect this information because we are committed to showing you content that’s relevant, interesting and personal to you.
- We have the legal duty to commit to showing information that is secure so that we manage to live up to the regular audits and independent reviews that are performed
- We use the information to provide users the opportunity to do market research on specific topics and categories
- We use Google Ads in order to provide you with personalised content
- We use your information to contribute to planning, service improvements and internal research for statistical purposes
- We produce information on Yaanaah to users that is anonymised and grouped so that you cannot be identified personally
- We hold onto the data for as long as the information is required
- If the data we hold incorrect, we will proceed to change or delete it
What are your legal duties?
- The law allows us to keep your data for improving the experience on Yaanaah and conduct research.
- We are bound by the General Data Protection Regulation to use your information fairly and lawfully.
- The GDPR or General Data Protection Regulation gives certain rights to individuals in relation to their personal data. Yaanaah is keen to offer transparency and access controls to help users take advantage of those rights. The rights afforded to individuals are:
- Right of access - the right to be informed of, and request access to, the personal data we process about you;
- Right to rectification - the right to request that we amend or update your personal data where it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Right to erasure - the right to request that we delete your personal data;
- Right to restrict - the right to request that we temporarily or permanently stop processing all or some of your personal data;
- Right to data portability - the right to request a copy of your personal data in electronic format and the right to transmit that personal data for use in another party’s service; and
- Right not to be subject to automated decision-making - the right to not be subject to a decision based solely on automated decision making, including profiling, where the decision would have a legal effect on you or produce a similarly significant effect
- Right to object: the right, at any time, to object to us processing your personal data on grounds relating to your particular situation; the right to object to your personal data being processed for direct marketing purposes;
- In order to enable you to learn more about these rights, exercise these rights with ease, and record your preferences in relation to how Yaanaah uses your personal data, we provide the following resources:
Contact Us form: You can submit your query about data going on the form. Please include the title “ Data query” so that our Data Protection Officer comes back to you within a reasonable time (30 days usually).
If you have any questions about your privacy, your rights, or how to exercise them, or if you have concerns around our processing of your personal data, we hope you will continue to work with us to resolve them. However, you can also get in touch with the ICO ( Information Commission’s officer) for further information should you wish to do so
Will my information be shared with anyone else?
- We use user information to perform research and targeted advertising
- Google's use of advertising cookies enables it and its partners to serve ads to your users based on their visit to your sites and/or other sites on the Internet
- If you wish to opt out to some third party vendors that Google uses, you can opt out of some third-party vendors’ uses of cookies for personalised advertising by visiting www.aboutads.info
Will my information be shared with anyone else?
- You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you – this is called a ‘subject access request.’ We will provide this on electronically within one month of your request in most cases.
- If the information that we hold about you is incorrect, you have the right to have it corrected
When you give it to us or give us permission to obtain it
When you sign up for or use Yaanaah you voluntarily share certain information including your name, email address, age group, gender, photos, education status, interests, location, topics you vote Yaa and Naah on, tags of topics, categories of topics, audio and video records recorded on topics, social medial links , comments and any other information you give us. We may use your IP address, which is used to approximate your location, even if you don't choose to share your precise location.
If you connect your Facebook, Google, Linkedin or other third-party accounts to Yaanaah, we use information from those accounts (such as your email , first name and last name) to improve your Yaanaah experience.
2. We also get technical information when you use Yaanaah
When you use a website, mobile application or other Internet service, certain Internet and electronic network activity information gets created and logged automatically. This is also true when you use Yaanaah
Log data. When you use Yaanaah, our servers record information (“log data”), including information that your browser automatically sends whenever you visit a website, or that your mobile automatically sends when you’re using it. This log data includes your Internet Protocol address (which we use to infer your approximate location), the address of and activity on websites you visit that incorporate Yaanaah features searches, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used Yaanaah, cookie data and device data
The data that you provide to Yaanaah when registering a vote is anonymously displayed in a statistic summary accessible to all Yaanaah users when clicking on a ballot box. This is done to have users draw conclusions from the votes casted and improve the experience.
Our partners and advertisers may share information with us
We may also get information about you and your activity outside Yaanaah from our affiliates, advertisers, partners and other third parties we work with.
For example: Online advertisers or third parties share information with us to measure, report on or improve the performance of ads on Yaanaah, or to work out what kinds of ads to show you on or off Yaanaah. This includes information about your visits to an advertiser's site or purchases you've made from them, or information about your interests from a third-party service, which we might use to help show you ads.
What we do with the info we collect
We’re committed to showing you content that’s relevant, interesting and personal to you. To do that, we use your information to provide and improve your experience, including:
- Identify you when you use Yaanaah
- Respond to your questions or comments
We have a legitimate interest for using your info in these ways. It's fundamental to what we do at Yaanaah and necessary in order to make Yaanaah and its features relevant and personalised to you.
We also have a legitimate interest in making Yaanaah safe and improving our product features so you keep finding the inspiration you want. We all benefit when we use your information to:
- Suggest other people who have similar interests. For example, if you vote on topics related to football, we may suggest topics related to football that you might like.
- Work with law enforcement and keep Yaanaah safe. We may get requests for account information from law enforcement, for example, the police or courts
- Review your comments/post on Yaanaah to detect activity that poses a risk to the safety of you, our community and/or members of the public
- Conduct analytics and research on who is using Yaanaah and what they are doing. For example, by logging how often people use a combinations of hashtags that work and make topics either popular or infamous
- Improve Yaanaah and offer new features
- Send you updates (such as when certain activity, such as saves or comments, happens on Yaanaah) and news by email or push notification, depending on your settings. For example, we send weekly updates when topics have reached a certain milestone.
- We have a legitimate interest in delivering ads that are relevant, interesting and personal to you in order to generate revenue.
To further these interests, we use the information we collect to:
- Decide which ads to show you. For example, if you show an interest in camping tents on Yaanaah, we may show you ads for other outdoor products. We customise the ad content we show you by identifying your interests based on your onsite and offsite activities, as well as by using information we receive from ad partners or other third parties. Where ad partners or other third parties share information with us about you, we rely on the consent they have already obtained.
- Tell our ad partners how their Yaanaah ads are doing, and how to make them better. Some of this information is aggregated. For example, we would report to an advertiser that a certain percentage of people who viewed an ad went on to visit that advertiser's site. In other instances, this information isn’t aggregated. For example, we would let an advertiser know that a particular ad has been saved by certain people.
- We have a legitimate interest in using information we collect to customise your Yaanaah experience based on your offsite behaviour. For example, if you visit websites that sell electric guitars, we may suggest voting topics related music. When we identify your interests based on your offsite behaviour with cookies, we will obtain any consent that we may need.
In addition to the specific circumstances above, we’ll only use your information with your consent in order to:
- Allow searching with photos. For example, if you take a photo of a pair of shoes or a piece of furniture you like, you can ask us to show you similar items. You can opt in to this in your device operating system settings.
- Send you marketing materials by email depending on your account or operating system settings. Each time we send you marketing materials, we give you the option to unsubscribe.
- Identify your precise location and customise the content we show you. For example, if we know that you’re near a retailer in a specific city, we may show you content that is related to this retailer in that specific city. You can opt in to this in your device operating system settings
- Identify you across different browser sessions. This means if you log in to Yaanaah from your phone (or any device), we'll remember that you're you and then you won't need to enter your login details each time you visit Yaanaah
Yaanaah is a worldwide service. By using our products or services, you authorise us to transfer and store your information in the EEA, for the purposes described in this policy. The privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your personal information in such countries may not be equivalent to those of your home country.
Choices you have about your information
Our goal is to give you simple and meaningful choices regarding your information. If you have a Yaanaah account, many of these controls are built directly into Yaanaah or your settings.
For example, you can:
- Edit information in your profile at any time or decide whether your profile is available to search engines
- Link or unlink your Yaanaah account from other services (such as Facebook, Google or Linkedin). You can also decide to close your account at any time. When you request an account closure, we’ll deactivate it, and delete your account data
- You also have choices available to you through the device or software you use to access Yaanaah. For example:
- The browser you use lets you control cookies or other types of local data storage.
- Your mobile device lets you choose how and whether your precise location, photos, contacts and other data are shared with us.
- To learn more about these choices, please see the information provided by your device or software provider.
How and when we share information
- Anyone logged in Yaanaah can see public profiles and you give us as well anonymised statistics accessible from ballot boxes. We also make this public information available through what are called APIs (basically a technical way to share information quickly). For example, a partner can understand the activity on published posts emanating from them in order to understand the effectiveness of their posts
We may also share your information with:
- Other services, to enable you to sign up for or log in to Yaanaah, or when you decide to link your Yaanaah account to those services, such as Facebook or Google, or when you publish your content on Yaanaah to them. For example, if you choose to publish your voting topics then information about that content will be shared with Facebook or Twitter.
- Services we use to market Yaanaah to you on sites and apps other than Yaanaah, such as Facebook Ads, Google Marketing Platform, Microsoft Advertising, LinkedIn Advertising, The Trade Desk and others from time to time. You can opt out of sharing with such advertising services in your settings.
- Online advertisers and third-party companies that we or they use to audit or improve the delivery and performance of ads or content on websites and apps (for example, through Google Analytics). This includes us sharing the ads you were shown on Yaanaah and whether or how you engaged with those ads, or other information about your activity on Yaanaah.
- Law enforcement agencies or government agencies. We only share information if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights or property of the public, any person or Yaanaah; or to detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues
- If we were to engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganisation, or similar transaction or proceeding that involves the transfer of the information described in this Policy, we would share your information with a party involved in such a process (for example, a potential purchaser).
How long we keep your information for
- We only keep your information for as long as we need it to provide Yaanaah to you and fulfil the purposes described in this policy. This is also the case for anyone that we share your information with and who carries out services on our behalf. When we no longer need to use your information and there is no need for us to keep it to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations, we’ll either remove it from our systems or depersonalise it so that we can't identify you.
Our policy on children and young teenagers
- We have set the minimum age for using Yaanaah at 16 as we are conscious that some countries in the EEA have varying regulations applicable to children and young teenagers below 16 year of age. You should only use Yaanaah if you can provide consent to data processing under the laws of your country. If you are a parent and you learn that your child is using Yaanaah and you don’t want them to, please get in touch via our Contact Us form.
You have options in relation to the information that we have about you.
- Request access to the information we collect and hold about you. We'll usually share this with you within 30 days once you get in touch via our Contact Us form
- Have your information corrected or deleted. You can update your information on your profile. You can hide your profile from search engines by selecting the option on your profile or closing your account by getting in touch via our Contact Us form
- Object to us processing your information. You can ask us to stop using your information, including when we use your information to send you marketing emails or push notifications. If you opt out of receiving marketing messages from us, we may still send you updates about your account, such as when someone comments on a topic you published
- Have the information you provided to us sent to another organisation, where we hold this information with your consent or for the performance of a contract with you, and, where it's technically feasible for us to do so
- Request more details about the information we collect and how and why we use and share it
- We will not discriminate against you if you choose to exercise your options related to your personal information. We work to be clear with you about your options and the consequences of exercising certain options.
If you have any questions about our data processing activities, please post your query putting the title “Data query” and the data protection officer will come back to you in a timely manner. It is usually within 30 days.
If you think that we haven't complied with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
How we make changes to this policy
We may change this policy from time to time. If we do, we’ll post any changes on this page. If you continue to use Yaanaah after the changes come into effect, you agree to the new policy. If the changes are significant, we may provide a more prominent notice or get your consent, as required by law.
The best way to get in touch with us or to exercise your options described above and get in touch via the Contact Us form.
The company address is 1 Waincliffe Square, LS11 8HX